Friday, April 9, 2021

Week One of 30 Days of Biking, April 1-7, 2020

 Day 1 of 30 Days of Biking




I began participating in 30 Days of Biking in 2014 and have done it every year except in 2020. Nothing to do with Covid-19, I just decided to take a break. My intentions were good as I started my ride this morning to pick up my CSA share from North Star Homestead Farms at the parking lot of the local library. I had pumped up the tires on my trusty Marin 7-speed with saddle bags perfect for picking up groceries. I got about a 1/2 mile into my approximately one mile ride to the library and my rear tire went flat. I tried to pump it up with the pump I had onboard but the tube wouldn't hold air. I had my cell phone with me so called Mike for a rescue. I didn't want to risk damaging the tire and rim by walking back home. After being stymied by a flat in the morning, I rode my Bob Jackson to see my mom at Aspen Acres in the afternoon. This is the fifth time I've been able to visit her in the last two weeks.


I like to write haikus during my 30 Days of Biking:
First of thirty days (of biking)
Blue skies, sun shining brightly
Nip in the air, cold
 
Day 2 of 30 Days of Biking


Today brought warmer temperatures than yesterday but fairly strong, gusty winds. Mike and I rode to the end of Airport Rd, about six miles round-trip. There's still some snow in places along the sides of the road.

Strong winds, warmer temps
Lots of gravel on the road
Soon peepers will sing
 
Day 3 of 30 Days of Biking


Warm temps feel so good
A glorious blue sky day
Winds calmer today

I rode with Mike to the end of Airport Rd again today. Then, I rode by myself to Spring Lake and back. The lake is entirely ice free. Along the way I heard just a few frogs, I think Spring Peepers, singing in one or two marshy areas. I bet they'll be many peepers heard in the next few days.
 
Day 4 of 30 Days of Biking




After riding with Mike to the end of Airport Rd, I then rode the bike path around Hayward. It was a warm day, 71F, the warmest spring day yet. On Airport Rd I saw the first snake of the season, a small common garter snake that, unfortunately, was not alive. This is the time of year when snakes and turtles start showing up on roads. I always stop to help them get to safety as I hate to think of these creatures being hit by cars. Sometimes, I'm too late and it makes me sad. I also saw my first large flock of Red-wing Blackbirds, gathered in a tree next to the river, singing their musical-sounding notes. I stopped to record them but the video was too big to upload.
 
Day 5 of 30 Days of Biking



My friend Ginny joined us for a ride today and after riding with Mike to the end of Airport Rd, Ginny and I rode the bike path around Hayward. It was warmer than yesterday, around 79F I believe. I still haven't heard any loud choruses of frogs but I imagine it won't be long now.
 
Day 6 of 30 Days of Biking




Another ride with Mike to the end of Airport Rd. Spring peepers and other frogs were heard, we saw a pair of Hooded Mergansers and Mallards on the river and a large Snapping Turtle heading toward a marsh.

Cooler than Monday
Loud chorus of frogs today
Snapping turtle seen
 
Day 7 of 30 Days of Biking


I recently remembered that April is National Poetry Month
(https://poets.org/national-poetry-month) which goes along nicely with writing haikus.

Cool winds cold on face
Rode in time to miss the rain
Bear in yard last night
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment