Friday, April 11, 2014

30 Days of Biking - Day 11

As I rode by the Namekagon River today I noticed it was nearly ice free and the small amount remaining will, I'm sure, be gone by tomorrow. Last year, according to my phenological notes, the river wasn't ice free until around April 22.
Namekagon River - only a sliver of ice remains along the eastern edge.
The route I took today was similar to my April 5 ride. Compare the image below to the one I made six days earlier, when my fat bike was propped up by the snow in almost exactly the same spot.
The snow on the Birkie Trail is slowly disappearing.
I was in search of Trumpeter Swans on my ride that a friend had spotted earlier in the day in a large pool of water left by melting snow in a field. But the swans had departed by the time I arrived. Tomorrow, early in the morning, I'm going to participate in the Annual Midwest Crane Count. I hope to be lucky enough to see both Sandhill and Whooping Cranes. The forecast for tomorrow has a 100% chance of rain, so my ride on Saturday will probably be short.

No comments:

Post a Comment