Monday, April 21, 2014

30 DOB - Day 21

Spring Lake is still frozen but more open water is appearing along the edges of the lake and the little dock is almost snow-free.
One of my favorite "S-curve" roads.
Spring Peepers could be heard in many more bogs, ponds, and swamps today. This road-side pond is where I first heard Peepers last Spring. This Wisconsin DNR web link has a photo and description of the Peeper and its habitat as well as a recording of its call.
I often see an Osprey sitting on this nest on one of my favorite rides, but she usually won't let cyclists get very close before she flies off. Cars don't seem to disturb her.
The first green grasses are appearing in the bogs.
At the end of my ride, upon arriving home, I spotted a male Pileated Woodpecker at the base of one of our trees. I've heard the Pileated in our woods off and on all winter but haven't seen any. This is the first time I've seen a male. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a very good photo of him.
The male Pileated has a red mustache.
Last winter, a female Pileated Woodpecker visited our suet feeder quite often but I never saw her this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment