Tuesday, April 7, 2015

30 Days of Biking - Day 7

About six months after I arrived in Hayward, I discovered two women's groups--the Women of the Woods & Water (WOWWs), who get together every Tuesday to walk/hike/snowshoe and, in the summer, kayak, and Ski & Tea, who meet every Friday year-round with the goal of becoming better cross country skiers.

And these are just two of the women's groups that exist in Hayward--there are at least two others, the Birkie Girls and the Northwoods Women (NOWOs). In a town of just over 2,300 people I find this to be amazing and wonderful.

Five years ago today was the first gathering of the WOWWs and today was an anniversary celebration for the group. I hadn't gone on a WOWW outing in months but decided to join the group for a hike on the Hospital Trails today.
I rode my Bob Jackson 3-speed to the trail head. We hiked out on the trails, which were still covered in snow from yesterday's storm, for about 45 minutes and then turned around and retraced our steps.
The original founders of the WOWWs.
I rode my bike to the Logger's Mill, where we all met for lunch after the hike and shared in a dessert provided by one of the founders, a 5-year anniversary cake.
My final destination, before returning home, was the Hayward Town Hall to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment